The Life of JaWS

A blog by Jason Sansbury

Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Busy Sunday...

Wow. It is 5 PM Monday and I am still worn out from yesterday. I am out of youth group shape (and out of shape period). Having not done youth for 3 months or so, it is kind of crazy. Here are some things that I learned…

  • I need to remember my “Have everything done by Friday” rule. I was running around like a chicken without a head Sunday. But I didn’t let that be a reason or excuse not to have some lunch with kids. (Moe’s where I had the fish tacos. Pretty good…) So, the goal for this week, I have all my preparation work done by 6 PM Friday, when I head to the high school football game.
  • Never believe Office Depot will have your chairs assembled when they say they will. And then they are rude on the phone about it.
  • Developed a funny new thing- each week we are having snacks and we will do a drawing from the kids there each week and the winner gets to call what the snack is. I think it could be fun…once I figure out how to cover the snack costs.
  • I have got to figure out how to make a weird shaped space work for 40 people. Think 14 feet by 50 feet. Low ceilings with dividers in two places. The space we used this week is only occasionally available to us.

3 Comments:

At 9:05 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Talk to me about wierd space. We have an office (think small) and possibly an upstairs room (think much larger, but we will have to take everything in and out each week).

I'm going to have to put that Friday rule into place my self. We'll see how that plays out.

Have you started Operation YooHoo yet?

 
At 1:41 PM , Blogger Jason Sansbury said...

How the snack thing works:
One of the things I do to keep track of students is that I have an index card system. The beginning of the year or their first visit with us, they fill out a card. Then, each week when they show up, we ask them to pull their card and put it in a box. (It is simple way to keep track of kids without a ton of adult work and effort.)

So, because the whole snack thing is important, we are drawing from all the cards of people there each week and the winner picks the snack for the next week. Only real rule I have is it has to be a snack and you can't win twice in a semester.

 
At 1:42 PM , Blogger Jason Sansbury said...

Operation YooHoo update...
I have secured a large dorm sized fridge for the office as a loaner. I have until January to make the operation a success. After that, said fridge returns to its owner and college home.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home