The Life of JaWS

A blog by Jason Sansbury

Friday, August 18, 2006

Moving on up

So I guess it is really official now…I started unpacking my books in the office today.

Now those of you that know me know that I own lots of books. Maybe over a thousand. Enough so that in my old office at my old church that old people would come in and ask “Have you read all these books?” And I have read them all except for a pile closest to my desk which are the “to read” and “reading” piles. So all of that to say, my English degree having self loves books, thinking and reading. (And I always wondered if they thought I was illiterate because they always asked the question with a hint of "stupid kid.")

In fact, when I was asked to resign, I went on a purge because everything I owned had to fit in three small spaces, a 10 X 10 storage unit, my minivan and the spare room of my friends. So I threw out all kinds of things; irons, ironing boards, lots of clothes, some furniture, lamps and more. But I threw away maybe 10 books. Of my thousand or so. So they are important to me, even if irrationally so…

So to be unpacking the books is a major step. Having been sharing an office and not having shelves, they have been a pile of boxes that, at times, have beckoned me with cries of "Pack us up and head for home. We don’t fit here. This isn’t our home. We don’t fit here and neither do you.” Today some of them have found homes. With more shelves to come, the rest of them will. And hopefully, so will I.

4 Comments:

At 9:56 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I miss your library! I used it often!

 
At 10:47 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

You know, if you would just let go of that complete collection of Hardy Boys mysteries, it would cut that library of yours by a third. What is your fascination with those anyway?

 
At 11:19 AM , Blogger Jason Sansbury said...

Okay, first off, if I was going to have a collection of teenage detective books it would be Encyclopedia Brown. (I wonder if the modern version is Wikipedia Brown?)

Second, don't be dousing me with Haterade. You know you want a book collection like mine...

 
At 7:56 PM , Blogger gavin richardson said...

welcome to tenn conf. thinking you are at bethlehem which is cool. it's not the first ym they've had with a healthy book collection. look forward to catchin up sometime in the future.

shalom
-gavin

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home