The Life of JaWS

A blog by Jason Sansbury

Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Superman Returns: a review

Well, I drug my mom out to see the new release of "Superman Returns."
First, some backstory...
I am a comic book guy. At an early age, when I have no idea how I funded my habit, I loved comics. I really loved the story, it made me a better reader and really a better storyteller. I was definitely more of a Marvel guy (think X-Men), than a DC guy and Supes is a DC character. (Having lived with my brother for the last six weeks, we have bored the crap out of my sister-in-law with having debates about who we would put on our new superhero dream team. Yes, I am that big a nerd and my web swallows up my bro.)

So, I never was a great Superman fan. Too powerful, too weird, odd and the whole costume thing bugs the heck out of me. But...I love a good storyteller as much as anyone and I thought the story was well done. It needed some editing but I think some of that was the desire to pay homage to the Christopher Reeves era movies. (Flying around with Lois comes to mind.)

I wasn't a huge fan of the Superboy gimmick, mainly because it can turn into a terrifying idea- Home Alone with Superpowers. And Hollywood execs are complete morons, so don't think that someone isn't making that exact pitch right now. I would have preferred that it be left more ambiguous in the end than it was.

Definitely some Joseph Campbell Hero Story/Myth and Christ imagery going on. A bit heavy handed at times but well done.

Worth going to check out. Tomorrow, no matter what, I am going to see Nacho Libre, which I still haven't been able to check out yet.

1 Comments:

At 8:15 AM , Blogger Jason Sansbury said...

Man, that is incredible on the Uncanny run. The Claremont era around the 200s was the best in my opinion.

And you need to check out this:
http://www.uncannyxmen.net/db/issues/
An excellent resource for reading about comics and their plots.

And, yes, I have been extremely bored.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home